Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Memories: "(Sittin' on) the dock of the bay"

In the summer of 1968 as I was stationed at Naval Station Treasure Island (TI) in the middle of San Francisco Bay awaiting orders with many others to Vietnam, the hit song first recorded by Otis Redding "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" played over, over and over. Listening to it helped take our minds off the situation at hand. One day I was ordered to the TI navy brig for reasons I knew not. As it turned out, because I had a masters degree, I was sent to the Correctional Center, Naval Station Great Lakes (IL) instead of Vietnam where I served two years striving to rehabilitate military prisoners.

I just saw this superb video which brought back many memories for me and I wanted to share it with others. As some of you will recall, this was a particularly tumultuous period in our country's history. I, like many others, lost close friends in this war.

Here is the link: http://rare.us/story/this-beautiful-collaboration-of-sitting-on-the-dock-of-the-bay-will-bring-you-back-to-a-better-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment